This soup is SO easy and can handle many variations, depending on what you have in your fridge. For a heartier version, add a package of refrigerated ravioli or tortellini at the end of cooking, sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and parsley and enjoy!
1 pound of spicy Italian Sausage, cut in 1″ pieces
1 cup of chopped onion (I used 1/2 red and 1/2 vidalia)
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for sauteing
1 c. broth (vegetable or beef)
1/2 c. red wine (or water)
1 large can of tomatoes (whole or diced)
1 can tomato paste
1 c. carrots, sliced
1 c. zucchini, sliced
1 c. yellow squash, sliced
1/2 c. basil leaves (use fresh or omit)
1 package of greens (spinach, kale or a mixture of both)
1 T. Italian Seasoning (to taste)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil in large dutch oven type-pan to medium heat.
- Cut sausage into pieces and brown in oil until cooked.
- In a smaller pan, add oil and brown the onion and garlic. Add to the pan with cooked sausage.
- Add broth, wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots and Italian Seasoning to sausage mixture. Bring to low boil, then reduce to simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Add zucchini and yellow squash to pan and continue to simmer about 5-7 minutes.
- Add basil. Stir. Reduce heat to med-low.
- Add bag of greens. Stir. Cook 3-4 mins.
- Remove from heat.
Notes: I always taste my creations as I move along while cooking. Adjust the spices to your liking. Don’t have red wine? Add more broth or just use water. No tomato paste? No problem! Just omit, or use a few splashes of V8 or tomato juice for flavor. If you would like a heartier meal, add a package of refrigerated ravioli or tortellini during the last few minutes of cooking (use the package cooking directions as your guide for cooking time). Alternately, you can add pre-cooked egg noodles or rice at the very end, too.
Freezing: This soup will freeze well WITHOUT the greens and/or noodles/rice. If freezing, omit those items and add separately at the next meal.
Serve with crusty bread and a nice glass of red wine!