I created this recipe in the late spring and we have been devouring it all summer long! It is THAT good! Don’t limit yourself to just chicken thighs; this marinade is delicious on chicken breasts, a whole roaster, pork tenderloin and flank steak too!
Mix together in a medium bowl:
1/2 c. EVOO
1/4 c. lime juice, freshly squeezed
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 c. chopped cilantro (or more, to your liking)
Zest of 2 limes
A few dashes of cayenne pepper
Splash of Tequila (you can omit if you’d like)
4 Large bone-in chicken thighs
TIP: Zest your limes first, then squeeze them.
- Place chicken in a flat bottom glass dish.
- Pour marinade over chicken and cover. I like to marinate overnight. Don’t be concerned about the acidic juice and your meat~it will be fine! Put in fridge until tomorrow.
TIME TO GRILL!
- Start with a nice, clean grill.
- Prepare a grill for two zones of heat: low-medium and medium-high.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin side up over indirect heat (the cooler part of the grill), cover, and grill about 15-20 minutes. Be patient! Peek occasionally.
- Turn chicken over. Grill until skin is deep golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken again and move to the hotter part of the grill and continue grilling, skin side up, until cooked through (no red shows when chicken is cut at thigh bone), about 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- Transfer to platter, cover with foil to let it rest for a few.
Serve with a green salad, grilled veggies and a Margarita, of course!